Sunday, February 22, 2015

Proquest

1. I searched dementia as my aunt is thought to have dementia and a close family friend has been diagnosed with it. I wanted to learn more facts instead of just a broad search on a search engine. I like the face that I could scan through the article titles and check the box to the left when I came across an article that piqued my interest. Then I could view only the list of articles that I checked. Very useful and practice when researching. Articles could also be saved too.

On the right hand side it was also very useful to have a list of other articles that may aid in my research.

  In one article I found it very interesting that many brain functions are affected long before an official diagnosis is ever made.


1a. I often look through everyone's blogs to see if I've missed anything that someone else may have found. It seems like we are all realizing that these are very good resources. They would be very useful for students and that we should spread the word.


2.  I searched for preschool in the publications link. It came up with Turtle Magazine for Preschool kids. I liked that I could change from text to PDF.  Being a Preschool Teacher, I'm more visual. I wanted to click through each page of the publication, but had to first select all of the pages and then in the upper right side, I could click next to view the next page in the publication. I had to check them all first. I wish I would have seen that earlier...I was getting a bit frustrated.  I didn't feel like my search had netted enough results, so I searched Early Childhood instead. 5 publications came up. I loved it that one of them was one that I used to pay for a subscription!! No more subscription for me!!

3 comments:

  1. Wow! What fabulous finds in Proquest this week!! Proquest is a great resource for all the things you have found. I also really like the article limiters on the right hand side of the page after you do a search--one can limit by article type, journal type, journal, subject and more.

    Thanks for the super post!!

    Julie

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with you that these resources are very good. I am sorry I haven't become familiar with them sooner. I hope to introduce some of them to the students & teachers at our school & am hoping to actually get some computers in the library soon (still haven't automated yet--Does anyone have suggestions for good circulation software?).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great point that these electronic resources are a much better tool to use than a plain old search engine.

    ReplyDelete